This notice describes how health information about you (as a patient of this practice) may be used and disclosed, and how you can get access to your health information. This is a requirement of Privacy Regulations mandated by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).
As required by law, our practice is dedicated to maintaining the privacy of your health information. We realize that these laws are complicated, but we must provide you with the following important information:
The following circumstances may require us to use or disclose your health information:
- To public health authorities and health oversight agencies that are authorized by law to collect information
- For lawsuits and similar proceedings in response to a court or administrative order
- If required to do so by a law enforcement official
- When necessary to reduce or prevent a serious threat to your health and safety or the health and safety of another individual or the public. We will only make disclosures to a person or organization able to help prevent the threat.
- If you are a member of U.S. or foreign military forces (including veterans) and if required by the appropriate authorities
- To federal officials for intelligence and national security activities authorized by law
- To correctional institutions or law enforcement officials if you are an inmate or under the custody of a law enforcement official
- For Workers Compensation and similar programs
Regarding your health information
You have the right to the following items regarding your health information:
- You can request that our practice communicate with you about your health and related issues in a particular manner or at a certain location. For instance, you may ask that we contact you at home, rather than work. We will accommodate reasonable requests.
- You can request a restriction in our use or disclosure of your health information for treatment, payment, or health care operations. Additionally, you have the right to request that we restrict our disclosure of your health information to only certain individuals involved in your care or the payment for your care, such as family members and friends. We are not required to agree to your request; however, if we do agree, we are bound by our agreement except when otherwise required by law, in emergencies, or when the information is necessary to treat you.
- You have the right to inspect and obtain a copy of the health information that may be used to make decisions about you, including patient medical records and billing records, but not including psychotherapy notes. You must submit your request in writing to Sierra Nevada Specialty Care, 670 Sierra Rose, Reno, Nevada 89511.
- You may ask us to amend your health information if you believe it is incorrect or incomplete, and as long as the information is kept by or for our practice. To request an amendment, your request must be made in writing and submitted to Sierra Nevada Specialty Care, 670 Sierra Rose, Reno, Nevada 89511. You must provide us with a reason that supports your request for amendment.